TV’s Survivor plays race card as contestants split by colour

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » September 19th, 2006, 11:07 am

I forgot this guy I posted that other chick twice:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13 ... ozzy.shtml

I bet some retard is going to say "they look mexican".

Fucking dumbasses. :roll:

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » September 19th, 2006, 11:09 am

Maybe they have some Native in them, but they are mostly of European ancestry.

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » September 19th, 2006, 11:43 am

I also forgot this guy:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13 ... o_jp.shtml

There are 5 in each team.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » September 19th, 2006, 9:21 pm

What is your problem Gonzo, you want a team of Indios and Meztizos do you, it is a hispanic team not a Mexican team, just beacause they are not meztizo does not make them any less hispanic, you are a racist.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 19th, 2006, 9:27 pm

then why have a white team, or a race based team game if you are going to have two white teams? they should have three black teams then one made up of Africans, one of black Americans, and one from the Carribeaan. I bet you would call me racist if actually wanted that .

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » September 19th, 2006, 9:29 pm

DC wrote:What is your problem Gonzo, you want a team of Indios and Meztizos do you, it is a hispanic team not a Mexican team, just beacause they are not meztizo does not make them any less hispanic, you are a racist.

Hello???

The show is suppose to have 4 DIFFERENT races competing against each other. That's the whole premise of the show.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm

DC wrote:What is your problem Gonzo, you want a team of Indios and Meztizos do you, it is a hispanic team not a Mexican team, just beacause they are not meztizo does not make them any less hispanic, you are a racist.

Gonzo???? racist? :lol:

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 19th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Never seen one episode of Survivor in my life, ever. I called my cable company and told them to block all the gay owned networks (Bravo, BET, MTV, VH1, CMT, MTVS All that bull shit... Otherwise I told them I was going to terminate my account with them, and switch providers, the home girl works for Charter Communications anyway. I'm trying to get on that free shit.

But from what I heard its a bunch of people who are supposedly stranded in Aruba, but there is a camera crew of 100+... So how is it reality TV when there is a crew of Producers, Editors, Camera men, Sound men, that make up a crew of 100+ people... Whats so real about it?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 19th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Survivors on channel 2, in Los Angeles at least.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » September 19th, 2006, 10:04 pm

I wouldn't know.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 20th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Segregated ‘Survivor’ Splits Tribes Along Racial Lines

By Frazier Moore

NEW YORK — Three weeks after unveiling a new “Survivor” gimmick — that rival tribes would be split along racial lines — the CBS adventure-game show returned to let U.S. viewers see if this was a crass ploy for ratings or a welcome new twist after a dozen previous editions.

The upshot after the first episode Thursday: too soon to tell.

Marooned on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific, the 20 castaways were assigned to live on four different islands according to their ethnic background — black, Hispanic, Asian-American and white. Much of the season premiere was given over to watching them get settled, and hearing them reflect on the challenges ahead.

“Oh, God, this is gonna be hard,” said Ozzy, a waiter from the Aitu (Hispanic) tribe. “I feel like the people who have the same ethnicity maybe are gonna clash on things.”

“I could care less about divisions by ethnicity,” said Sundra, an actress from the Hiki (black) tribe. “When it comes to surviving, it’s a human effort.”

As for dividing up by ethnic groups — “I mean, is that kosher?” laughed Parvati, a boxer from the Raro (white) tribe.

One member of the Puka (Asian-American) tribe wasted no time winning favor from a fellow teammate. Cao Boi, a nail salon manager, massaged a migraine headache out of fashion director Brad.

“What I’m gonna do is pull this ‘bad wind’ out of you,” Cao Boi said, as he plucked at Brad’s face.

“I had a headache and he got rid of it,” said Brad a few moments later.

Thus did Cao Boi emerge early on as a character to watch.

The season’s first challenge: a complex multistage race whose rewards for the first three tribes to finish were fire (in the form of a kindling kit) and immunity.

The loser: Hiki. But it came with one consolation: These tribemates could choose one member from any other tribe for two nights’ banishment to so-called Exile Island. Hiki chose Jonathan of the Raro tribe.

Then came the tribal council, when Hiki had to decide who from its ranks would be the first castaway voted off the show after just three days’ exploits. Jazz musician Sekou was elected the weakest link. It was time for him to go.

From the announcement of the show’s new concept last month, reaction was heated from some quarters.

A Wall Street Journal editorial accused “Survivor” of “playing up identity-politics in a crude and potentially rancorous way,” while the Hollywood Reporter blasted the series’ creator, Mark Burnett, for “tapping a raw segregationist nerve and exploiting America’s obsession with race for personal gain.”

Members of the New York City Council denounced the show for promoting divisiveness. “How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?” posed one councilman, an Asian-American.

But in a teleconference with reporters last week, Probst argued that the new season features “the most ethnic-diverse cast in the history of TV, as far as I know.”

The organizing principal, Probst said, was conceived “in terms of ethnic pride, not discrimination.”

http://www.thecomptonbulletin.com/ent/index.html

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » September 20th, 2006, 8:34 pm

it should be re-worded that the tribes are broken into different ethnic backgrounds not race. Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race, hispanics can be of any race white, brown, black.

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”